Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Sepsis Survivor

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:37 pm

Hi,

I'm a survivor and I guess as such see things simpler than medics which I'm not claiming is a positive thing.

Listening to today's presentations at #WSC16 and I was particularly interested in the discussion by 'people affected by sepsis and family members.'

One speaker spoke of a 'Sepsis Mandatory Protocol' in the state of New York. This protocol ensures that patients arriving at their hospitals are checked for the signs of sepsis. It was said that between 5-8,000 people are prevented from dying from sepsis every year since its introduction.

''Save them at the front door

and you don't have to save them

in ICU''

For me, this protocol must save more money (beds, medics, drugs, ICU care etc) than its cost of its implementation. Post sepsis costs would also be saved ie mental health costs, rehabilitation. I could go on regarding savings and I have not even mentioned lives saved and families kept together.

So why not in the UK? Am i naive? Is the NHS bureaucracy such that such life saving initiatives cannot be introduced?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

• Mark Sollis and Lesley-Anne like this

#2 Lesley-Anne

Lesley-Anne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:27 pm

Hi Mark

I tried to reply to your post last night but unfortunately after listening to most of the Congress yesterday fatigue set in.

I thought the same as you that surely having a mandatory sepsis protocol in place, is a no brainer, when it comes to saving lives. In addition because of quicker diagnosis those affected would hopefully have less debilitating after effects of sepsis. The only reason I can think of for this not being in place is that government and medical authorities want to see the evidence that lives would be saved. The speaker, Ciaran Staunton, whose son died of sepsis, spoke of the need to start locally and I believe initially worked for change at the hospital where his son died. New York is one of only a handful of states to have made the protocol mandatory with his aim being to make it nationwide.

Perhaps we need to do likewise and start locally where we live to try and effect change. I have contacted my local health improvement officer and there is going to be an article about sepsis in the next bulletin in October. I put a piece on the Patient Opinion website and a local NHS manager has contacted me. Small steps but Im determined to do my bit to raise awareness.

I was astonished to see that someone connected to my local hospital where they saved my life was speaking today at the Congress. Why was I astonished? There are no posters or leaflets to educate the public about sepsis in the hospital and neither me nor my family were given any information about sepsis. Most of the speakers said everyone needs to know about sepsis not just doctors and nurses
absolutely everyone.

Lets hope one day there is a mandatory sepsis protocol in the UK if not worldwide.

Healing wishes to all survivors
  • MarkDUK likes this

#3 red squirrel

red squirrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:18 am

hi mark,having a mandatory sepsis protocol would be a great step forward,there are already existing protocols on other conditions,to enact another for such a serious condition would save many more lives (and money too),even including information on sepsis with discharge notes could i believe have an immediate effect on some patient outcomes,a part of this issue is patient re-admissions,its quite hard to find decent stats on numbers and when you do its full of caveats,but its a growing problem ,According to the NICE website about 350k patients are re admitted within 30 days of discharge,but this info is then filtered down into various subgroups with no number regarding sepsis, even these numbers change when a hospital is part of a larger trust,but this is known problem and hospitals are fined for patient re-admission,but its not really a fine as such they are instead not paid for whatever treatment is required on re-admission,I think people could be saved at the front door when they arrive with some basic tests and at the back when they are discharged with some basic information.

You have mentioned bureaucracy and whilst mindful that this may be going of topic i must mention my  great water dispenser battle,back in 2012 whilst attending a pre-op i wanted some water but is was broken with an old bit of cardboard explaining that,i asked a nurse she said oh yes we know about that,2013 same...with same bit of cardboard,this was depressing so i photographed it and reported it to PALS, fast forward 2014 same bit of cardboard,still broken,my hospital now runs  patient led assessment teams ,who go in and with others advise where the hospital they could improve service to patients,so i joined,unfortunately my team did not assess the pre-op part of the hospital but we went to other wards and departments,and in one of these departments there was a broken water dispenser with a sign,i asked the nurse how long it had been like that and she said before i moved here two years ago and she had reported it also,

Trying to effect any kind of change with the nhs is difficult even for those on the inside....other issues were also noted and hopefully acted on.but its a slow process

Reading these posts has reminded me to do what i can to get the message out there,so i will take some leaflets with me  to the doctors next week and  to the hospital in october and see what kind of response i get.

i missed the WSC16 is there somewhere on youtube i might find it?

kind regards red

• MarkDUK and Lesley-Anne like this

#4 MarkDUK

MarkDUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:57 pm

Thanks Lesley-Ann and Red,

Firstly Red,one had to register for http://www.worldseps...ss.org/program/ I'm not sure if you can listen to the presentations now but would have thought so.
Both of you have given me a wake up call that I can do my bit here and not have to be part of a greater number. I'll look to contact my local health improvement officer asap. You have made great strides and I thank you for that. Imagine if everyone on this forum could make equal step forwards.

Lesley-Ann,which health authority are you part of? For a more private answer, if you like, can I ask is it Leeds?

Yes Red, whilst hospitalised for several weeks I saw things that didn't seem logical. I had a Hickman line(not sure of spelling) fitted for antibiotics, blood taking etc. Without exception the staff took bloods from my arms and used a rubber glove as a torniquet, although there was a tourniquet dispenser adjacent. Why?!

Any guidance from medics would be greatly appreciated
  • Lesley-Anne likes this

#5 Lesley-Anne

Lesley-Anne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:35 pm

Hi Mark and Red

I'm in a Scottish Health Authority and I know they have made a lot of progress in educating medical professionals about sepsis. It's the education of the public which is sorely lacking. In addition out patient and follow up care in my case has been awful. From acorns grow oak trees so if survivors try to raise awareness hopefully eventually things will improve all round.

Its dreadful that water dispensers were broken for that length of time. We all know how important drinking water is to our health and you would think it would be a priority to provide it for patients. I have just signed up to try to be involved in patient groups in our Health Authority as I think its so important for our voices to be heard even if it takes a long time to be effective.

I think the talks from the first World Sepsis Congress will be available on the internet over the coming weeks. Hopefully anyone will be able to access them whether they were registered or not.

Healthy thoughts to all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users