#1 Linda M

Linda M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Affected by Sepsis

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:14 am

Hi this is my first time on this forum.  I lost my husband to sepsis last month.  I don't have much to say except that after surviving three life threatening major operations, his aftercare appeared lacking in so many ways and no-one seemed to get to grips with the sepsis with any enthusiasm or skill.  He was discharged home with an obvious infection, lasted 48 hours then back to hospital as an emergency and died five days later.  He had been diagnosed with a life limiting condition which would have ended his life in a couple of years in any case and I believe they just abandoned him because of this, denying us those precious two years we could have had together.  I had to challenge the hospital regarding the cause of death, and eventually got them to agree sepsis as the cause.  I am going to complain and look into possible negligence. There's something wrong with an NHS that cannot recognise treatable infections.  The lack of skill and intelligence among nursing staff was astonishing.  Friends and family have donated almost £700 so far for the Sepsis Trust in lieu of funeral flowers.  

#2 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Healthcare Professional

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:56 am

HI Moz

So sorry to hear about the loss husband last month and that your experience is that the people looking after him failed to provide the care he deserved. Thank you for your generous donation to the trust. If you would like to talk to the support team at UK sepsis about what happened to your husband please feel free to call us on 0800 3896255 or you can email me directly on larry@sepsistrust.org

Larry

#3 Linda M

Linda M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:28 am

Hi Larry

Thanks for your reply, I may well get in touch.  Things are still very upsetting for me at the moment and change from day to day, but it's nice to have a lifeline.  

#4 Linda M

Linda M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:23 pm

Hi, if Joanne is still following this forum, I seem to have lost touch with you and cannot find our conversation anywhere on the website!  Hope all is well with you.  I'm just beginning my official complaint about Barry's care, via a solicitor, so who knows what trials and tribulations await me as I re-live the whole experience, but I'm convinced it has to be done.  One of these days I'll pluck up the courage to get some counselling, at the moment I'm hiding from it but I know I'll have to face it sometime.  Have now managed to take husband's clothes out of the wardrobe and 'unpack' the contents of his bedside table, after a year.  One of my daughters went without Xmas presents and asked for donations to Sepsis instead, so kind of her, I just hope it makes a difference, can't help feeling the NHS' performance on such issues is not getting much better, but I live in hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users