#1 LindzV

LindzV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Sepsis Survivor

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:06 am

Hi, just wondered if anyone else had experience of having sepsis whilst being pregnant? I developed sepsis from a viral infection 3 weeks ago and was 19 weeks pregnant. It was severe but caught fairly early. I was rushed to hospital in an ambulance and stayed in for 2 days. I was given IV antibiotics and fluids, then sent home with 5 more days of tablet antibiotics. I still have the virus, had blood test at the doctors which confirmed my white cells are low which means my body is still trying to get rid of a virus. Drs advised nothing they can do as virus does not respond to antibiotics. I just feel so drained and my arms and legs ache. I now find it hard to sleep at night and tend to wake at 2 or 3am and then toss and turn until morning. Has anyone got any useful tips? i am taking pregnancy vitamins, eating fruit and steaming. Not sure what else i can do. Does anyone have any idea how long this will last? I have never taken so long to get over an illness and of course am paranoid about developing sepsis again whilst I still have a virus,

Many thanks
Lindsay
  • Gillianflutes likes this

#2 Larry

Larry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Healthcare Professional

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:01 pm

Hi Lindsay

It is not unusual to experience extreme fatigue and muscle pains /aches following sepsis, you also have the additional factor that you are pregnant which will add to your fatigue.  It is difficult to predict how long it will take before things start to improve, everyone is different, factors we know that contribute to a longer recovery are: being older, a stay in intensive care, having previous chronic illnesses and length of stay in hospital.  However these are generalisations and do not apply to every one  but hopefully you will fall into the group that has a quicker period of recovery.

You seem to be doing all the right things, just remember to take things easy  and take regular rest and pace yourself, when recovering from sepsis people tend to have good days and bad days, there is always the risk of pushing your self too much on the good days and paying the cost for this the next day.  Most people worry about getting sepsis again just remember you know the signs of sepsis and should you become unwell again you will know to seek help and get treated early.  Make sure your midwife is up to date with what has been happening with you so they can give advice and support if needed. You can also call us at the sepsis support team on 0800 389 6255 if there is anything you want to talk to us about.

#3 LindzV

LindzV

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Sepsis Survivor

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:04 pm

Thank you for your reply and advice, midwife is aware and they have advised they are there if i need any additional support which is good. Cannot wait to shift this virus and sinus pain to hopefully get a decent nights sleep at some point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users