Blackrat72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Sepsis Survivor

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:43 pm

Hi everyone
I had an ACL reconstruction on 22nd March 2017 the operation went straight forward and I was discharged 24th March. A few days later the pain was getting worse and the feeling of flu started I though that it was shock and the recuperation from my op. By Monday 3rd April I couldn't take any more and went to A&E where I waited several hours to be seen, I saw the triagenurse and had my one done she then put me in a side room to wait and see a Dr I waited another hour when the Dr read my notes it said that I was scoring on the Sepsis marker and that they should have been informed as I had waited another hour before diagnosis and treatment started. I was put on Penicillin IV and admitted to the trauma ward. My knee has to be aspirated and swabs taken, these were incubated and a bug had started to develop so I had to go onto stronger IV penicillin, during this time my wound popped at the top and lots of gunk came out which they had to be squeezed to release it. After 11 days in hospital on IV penicillin and 5 more days of oral penicillin I need to ask the question when will I start to feel like a human being again, the giddiness and breathlessness is so scary I feel so weak. Sorry for waffling on this is the first time I've written down the event and tears are flowing as I'm doing it 😥
  • davegore and Blackrat72 like this

#2 davegore

davegore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Affected by Sepsis

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:23 pm

I developed sepsis back in early Feb after a cyst rupture in my kidney, and 4 days later only thanks to the quick thinking of my wife, I was in an ambulance and straight into A&E and on a iv drip less than 20 minutes later, so she tells me

I ended up in hospital for a week, 6 days on iv antibiotics until they got the infection under control, and even now after 9 weeks out of hospital I am still finding my feet, I was discharged from hospital, and to be honest all I did was sleep for the first week, even waking and getting downstairs was a struggle, only to feel then like I could easily sleep for hours more.

The one thing I found is that I have gone from fit and healthy to feeling like a completely different person, I still feel very weak, am still suffering headaches and joint pain, especially in my knees and legs and lower back, but for me that is the very frustrating part, as I considered myself to be fit and active, even small steps, and pushing myself a little too far can set me back for a couple of days.

By reading mine and other peoples stories on here you will find that everyone has similar, but different symptoms (does that make sense?) and the key to things seems to be time more than anything, and listening to your body.

Hope you are feeling more like yourself soon.

Dave

#3 Blackrat72

Blackrat72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:36 pm

Thanks Dave
The same to you it certainly turns your life upside down hope you too are soon feeling back to normal
Karen

#4 Blackrat72

Blackrat72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted Yesterday, 09:25 pm

A week after finishing my oral penicillin at home I now have an infection in the wound site such a scary time again back on penicillin but really worried in case things go wrong again 😔

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users