#1 Rachel.N

Rachel.N

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Affected by Sepsis

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:42 pm

Hi I'm new here and glad I found this site.
I am beside myself with worry for my partner, who is currently in acute assessment ward fighting sepsis.
He was rushed to hospital with temp of 38.3 and convulsions. He had not been well for some time, but put it down to 4am work starts and feeling tired. He had been sweating profusely at nights and we think he may have had this terrible infection for some time. The hospital have been amazing although it seems that they are still unable to locate the source of the bacterial infection. My partner thank goodness is standing his own and his organs are all functioning, however he has a particularly nasty and rare strain. The antibiotics are not clearing the infection as his immune and white blood cells are still in overdrive. They now say they will start him on nuclear antibiotics tomorrow.
I don't really know what to think and wonder if anyone has similar experiences. I think the hospital are bit unsure and is a process of ilimination. There are many factors that may have caused this. He had a stent put in two months ago, he had strange insect bites on his face. He has a stomach condition and spondylitis. It could be anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I'm worried if they don't combat it, it may progress to severe levels. Thankyou

#2 Palmiter

Palmiter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Sepsis Aware:Sepsis Survivor

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:01 am

Hi Rachel,

My name is Bob and I live in Sacramento, California.

First and foremost, you should be aware that Sepsis IS NOT a death sentence. It is, however, treatable and can be survived. I had a severe case of Sepsis years ago, and was hospitalized for over 4 months. My prognosis was grim, but I did recover.

How your partner contracted Sepsis may never be known. Doctors suspected that mine was caused by a scrape on my knee, but no one can say for sure. I was treated with a variety of antibiotics but which specific one did the trick is undetermined. My organs did start to shut down and I lapsed into a coma for four days. But like a bad storm, the skies cleared and eventually I did get better. I know that this all may sound frightening to you, but I am merely trying to point out that even when things seem to be going downhill, recovery may be just around the corner.

As you might have already guessed, Sepsis is innately a very tricky infection. Initially, it may disguise itself as something else until you realize that your symptoms are more than a bad case of the flu or something else. Apparently, it might not hit you all at once, hence, treatment may be delayed. Had I seen my Doctor when I first noticed some disturbing physical symptoms, my Sepsis may not have been so severe.

At this point, it sounds like your partner is being well taken care of. But, be sure to take care of yourself also! The both of you, someway, somehow, will be a source of strength for each other in this battle. Believe me. I know.

Bob

#3 Rachel.N

Rachel.N

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Affected by Sepsis

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:26 am

Thank you Bob.
I am sorry to hear your story and can only imagine how difficult and traumatic it must have been for you and your family. I am pleased to hear your strength and courageous battle to get better. I do hope all is ok now. Thank you for your reply
  • Palmiter likes this

#4 emmacollins01

emmacollins01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Sepsis Aware:Healthcare Professional

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:49 am

Hi Rachel, Sorry to hear that your partner is in hospital.  I am Support Nurse at The UK Sepsis Trust.  Feel free to give me a call on 08003896255.

Thanks Emma

• Palmiter likes this

#5 Palmiter

Palmiter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Sepsis Aware:Sepsis Survivor

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:17 pm

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your reply....and yes.....I did make a complete recovery.

If possible, could you please let me know how your partners recovery is going? I am here should you need to "ask" or "vent" anything.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users