Geoff

Just Joined

Hello All,

I'm age 52 and have just joined this forum after surviving sepsis (septicaemia and cellulitis) in March this year.  No doubt what is to follow will sound familiar.

I came home from the office on the 2nd of March after a totally average day, feeling tired and lethargic.  So what's new ?  Went to bed and woke up next day feeling worse so went to see the doctor who took one look and said, "Go to A&E now!".

At first, I didn't want to go.  There was no pain, just tiredness.  Why go to hospital, especially A&E?

My wife and son, bless them, insisted on getting me to the local A&E and the last thing I remember of that was being wheeled through the doors.  Had I lived alone, I'd have gone back to bed and popped my clogs.  As it was, two weeks later I awoke from an induced coma, wired, tubed and floating on a morphine-induced pink cloud, wondering what the hell had happened and where I was.  Gradually, I gathered a befuddled picture of what had happened and, as soon as they could, my wife and son visited to explain the details.

The sepsis had started in my left leg, leaving several ugly wounds which needed debridement in a series of operations.  There was a debate at the time as to whether or not the leg would be amputated but, luckily, that wasn't necessary.  I spent a month in ICU and a total of nearly three months in hospital, by which time I could shuffle slowly along the ward on crutches.  The wounds are still 'mummified' in layers of dressings and bandages today, some nine months later with the addition complication of oedema.

Despite all the above, I was struck by the Muse,

Oh, ‘twas at the start of March this year,

I had a nasty fright,

When a most severe infection,

Put me in a plight.

“This isn’t good”, the doctor frowned,

“Go straight to A & E,

I diagnose septicaemia,

Making you a casualty.”

A fortnight in a coma,

With a month in ICU,

Wired-up and tubed and drugged,

I really had no clue.

Eleven long weeks in hospital,

Weak and feeling sick,

The indignity of bed pans,

Then shuffling on a stick.

But now things are much better,

So as my body mends,

I’m indebted to the medic staff,

And my family and friends!

I hope you're not left writhing in agony after that tortured doggerel, rendered in the style of the great William McGonagall.

As it is, I can at least walk around on a stick now but get tired easily, all the while coming to terms with my brush with the Grim Reaper.  I know what I've just said is similar, if not identical, to your own experiences but it is good to know that you fellow survivors are out there and all the best to you for the future.

Best Wishes,

Geoff   :) 

Hi Geoff, I have found being part of this group very helpful. Reading similar stories has made me feel less alone but reading some stories make me appreciate that I am better than I might have been. My sepsis came about linked to a blocked kidney in July this year. Energy levels continue to be very erratic leaving me feeling I am on a relentless roller coaster! So hard to plan because I don't know when my bad days are going to pop up. I have recently started a slow phased return to work. This is going fairly well but my life is still very different from before July. I am an optimistic person so continue to focus on the plusses, which is not always easy. Here's hoping we continue to mend! Loved the poem!

Hi Gillian,

Thanks for your message, I understand what you mean about energy levels.  The doctor looking after my case approached me on the ward on one occasion and said something like, "You'll never be quite the same person again and it'll take about a year to18 months before you get back to normal".  He said it in a kindly way but it did sound a bit ominous!

As time has passed and we're nearing year end, I've realised that the doctor's estimate is looking about right.  Nevertheless, things are improving albeit very slowly and yes, it is essential to focus on the plusses and work through the minuses.  We're all heading for the future and the only acceptable option is to make it as positive as possible !

All the best for your recovery,

Geoff   :)