lizmcd

My husband died while on holiday in La Palma

My husband and I went to La Palma on 3rd December for 2 weeks, we both worked for the nhs at manchester royal infirmary. On the 4th December he was taken ill and admitted to hospital with acute pancreatitis. On the 5th he was admitted to their ITU. Doctors said they wanted to stabilise him then send him back to the uk as they had done a scan and found he had gallstones, he had never had any symptons. He was intubated and sedated for a week , he came out of sedation and for just one day was sat in a chair and chatting about getting home in time for christmas, the next day he was worse with a high temperature and hallucinating, no change the next day then in the evening they said he had a temperature. When I got there the next day I was told in very broken english that things were very bad, and I said is he dying and she said yes. I stayed with him for seven hours until he passed away. He had infected pancreatic necrosis,sepsis and total organ failure. What made it more difficult was the fact that very few staff spoke english and some days there was no one who spoke english, they had no idea what my husband was trying to say to them. I had never felt so alone or helpless in my life.

Hi Liz

I am so sorry for your loss. I know from

Personal experience how frightening and bewildering it is, when Sepsis strikes so suddenly and without warning. It must have been ten times worse for you, being abroad, alone and where you couldn't freely communicate.

I hope you have lots of support at home, and haven't had to do everything on your own? It must have been so hard, and I expect, lots of red tape getting back to the UK?

Feel free to keep in touch or PM me if there is anything I can do to help.

Sarah

Dear Liz,

I was so sorry to hear about your husband. I can only begin to imagine how frightening it must have been for you to go through this. As a nurse I've seen sepsis devastate so many people's lives, so quickly. 

Anne from the Trust was going to get in touch - I hope she managed to reach you.

We'll do everything we can to help.

Take care Liz,

Libby.      

Hello Liz,

I hope you are ok. Your story is tragic I'm so sorry. Sepsis can be devastating and someone's condition can deteriorate so rapidly as you have sadly experienced. The Trust is doing everything to raise awareness so I'm glad you were able to share your story. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Hello, Liz, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. I hope you are well supported by family,friends, your GP and work colleagues and able to ask for the help and support you need. 

The UKST is working really hard to raise awareness and to support survivors and those who had sadly lost a loved one to sepsis. We do run a Support Group in the Manchester area should you feel able to come along (fine to bring a friend too if it helps). The next Group is on Wednesday 24th February in the early evening.

Liz, I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling and I appreciate that attending the Group won't be easy but we are there to listen if you wish to talk and feel ready to do so.I know this won't take the pain away and change what has happened but we are a small friendly group who have been affected by sepsis and can hopefully help you feel supported.

If you want to email me directly that is fine and my email is juliecarman.lv@sepsistrust.org.

Take care. Julie

Thank you to everyone that has replied it was lovely to hear from you all. I am off work today and trying to finalise Malcolms funeral which is to be held next week. If anyone knows the details of my nearest support group it would be much appreciated my postcode is OL2 8EE.

Many thanks

Liz

Hello, Liz,

The North West (Manchester ) Support Group is held at the Methodist Central Hall, Stevenson Square, Oldham St Manchester. Post code M1 1JQ in Room 10.

The next one is Wednesday 24th February  between 6pm -8pm.

More details from the UKST Office on 08456066255 or from me.

Thinking of you,

Julie

Hello Liz.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband and the added difficulties of being in a country where you don't speak the language. The horror of watching Sepsis develop and claim the life of someone you love are unimaginable. I lost my 27 year old daughter in 2011 to Sepsis and know what it is like to feel helpless as a disease spreads with such speed and you are powerless to stop it from happening. I can recommend the group in Manchester. I have met up with Julie many times and have had massive support from the Sepsis Trust. I had worked for the NHS my entire life as a nurse, midwife and health visitor. I was visiting women who had recently had babies and yet my daughter died from an infected C. Section.  I do hope you have people around you who can support you and if you want to talk further i am more than happy to do so. 

Take care

Anne

Hello Liz,

We are so sorry for your loss of your husband from Sepsis while abroad. We lost our 29yr old son from Sepsis in January 2014 he was illover a period of 4 days, 3 days spent in hospital where he died. I do hope you do have support at this very difficult time in your life and cannot believe that Sepsis is still taking so many people still. God bless. Terry