DianneDuck

Loss of my son

We have just recently lost our eldest son Joshua who was 24 years suddenly from Sepsis. The day it happened he was fit and well, went to work as usual came home had his tea and went to bed as normal, he didn't complain of any ailments and was his normal happy self. Our youngest son found him slumped on the toilet when he went to bed, the paramedics came but he had already gone. We are/were in total shock and disbelieve that this could have happened and so quickly without any warning. I had never heard of Sepsis before. We are just heartbroken that this has happened and still cannot believe we will not see him again. I felt I should join this group to share our story.

Dear Dianne,

Thank you for sharing your story and I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so horrible to read other stories and know that other people are going through the same nightmare as me. My daughter Clodagh died three months ago tomorrow, she was 9 months old and was just as happy and healthy as you describe your son to be. It's so horrible that it is so sudden and that we aren't even given a chance to try and save them. I hope that you have lots of friends and family around you for support, use them. I have been surrounding myself with people as I hate being alone with my thoughts.

Take care

Sian. xx

Dear Dianne and Sian,

I was so sorry to hear about the loss of your children Joshua and Clodagh. The death of your child at whatever age they are causes such devastation and emptiness, and the speed of what happened would make it all so difficult to comprehend. I should imagine you both have many unanswered questions, just trying to make sense of why and how sepsis took your children.

If it would help either of you to speak to a Support Advisor to talk through what happened, do just ask or email me on libby@sepsistrust.org. We do also have details of bereavement organisations who can help you through this listed in the support section of our website.

Take care,

Libby

Thank you Libby and Sian for your replies they mean a lot. I am so sorry to hear of your devastating story Sian too and to hear other people are going through the same nightmare, it is just unbelievable what has happen and as you say so difficult to comprehend. It still feels like he has just gone away. How can someone be/seem to be fit and well and for this to happen, life is so cruel. I too am the same surrounding myself with family and friends so I don't drown myself in thoughts. Thank you Libby for the offer of support but we are mulling through it with great family support.

Take care too and be strong,

Dianne xx

Hi all

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I normally get notified of updates and didn't.

I lost my Mum nearly two and a half years ago now. Hard to know what to say. Sepsis is awful and the more we can do to educate the public and the professionals, the best chance of survival we are giving others. It is the only real thing that forces me to focus.

Take care and if you need a chat, feel free to message or email me.

Sarah

Xx

Dear All,

It is so sad to hear all your stories. I lost my big brother suddenly on Christmas Day 2014. He was 50, it happened suddenly and we had to break into his house and found him lying there, the ambulances wouldn't come as it was 3 days before Christmad, eventually they sent one. He was semi conscious and soon went into a coma that evening. One by one his organs started t fail. The hardest thing was telling my mum and then eventually telling his children on Christmas Day that their dad had gone. You never think that your family would be affected in this way. I still find it hard to believe that he is gone and my heart reaches out to all of you suffering in the same way. Life moves on for everyone else but not to us, we have to try and find a way to cope with the pain in our hearts every day.

Bless all the suffering families.

Mini

xx

Hi Mini,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and my heart goes out to you. I just cannot believe the ambulance service would not attend due to it being Christmas.We still cannot believe Josh has gone and why this happened to our darling gentle giant, he has left a huge gaping hole in our family, I just feel like the stuffing has been knocked out of me.

Take care everyone and try to be strong.

Dianne xx