Sambails

Post sepsis

I had severe septic shock following a routine operation, I spent time in intensive care and a normal ward came home 1 week ago feeling very emotional , crying a lot , not really caring about anything is this normal?

yes totally normal. make sure you talk to the people you trust. sepsis is life changing. your priorities will change (for the better). write down your experience- I found that helped too. you might find you have PTSD... you might at some point need to speak to your GP about counseling... it all helps. stay strong :)

thank you for your reply, i have started to write things down while in hospital as there was alot of things i thought had happened which had not but that was my delirious and confusion state

Hi there - and thanks for sharing your experience 

Delirium is a whole new weird part of any Intensive Care period - whatever the cause of the stay. Writing those things down now will really help over the next few days and weeks - to distinguish reality from your dreams. In time you will be able to look back and understand the separation of the two. I had some major crossovers for a long while - but soon learned to know the true "reality" and be "aware" of my dreams. Stay strong and seek help from close friends, family and the Trust. It takes time but you will win through 

Hi Sam,

Do have a look at our website, in the support section - 'survivors' and download either of the booklets: Post operative -Sepsis and /or 'Sepsis Survivors Information' at the end of the text. They should help you make sense of everything you're experiencing at the moment and explain to everyone around you what you're going through. If it would help to chat to one of our Sepsis Advisors, just call our office and we'll be in touch.

BW,

Libby.

Hi Sam,

I am a sepsis survivor, and do understand and know what you are going through. One way to look at how you are reacting to this sudden illness is, quite frankly, your body is "grieving" both physically and mentally. During my own personal recovery, I experienced what you have described. It will take awhile for you to fully process what actually happened during your unexpected illness, and all of the physical and mental symptoms associated with this "sudden trauma". From what you have written, you sound like you are on your way to a good recovery, despite the tears and fears. Ironically, these uncomfortable "feelings" are all part of the healing process. Just remember.....you ARE a survivor....not many sepsis victims are.

I hope I have helped.

Bob

Thank you all for your replies,at the moment I feel like it happened to someone else,I don't think it has hit home fully yet,I am grateful to survive sepis just taking each day as it comes x

Hi, Great advice above... it does take time and patience. I would just add.... use your book to write down your progress and achievements too. It may feel slow at first but in time you will be able to look back and see how you have come.