Gillianflutes

Support during recovery

The medical care during diagnosis and immediate after care was second to none. I will always be grateful to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, both in ITU and in the ward. My continuing kidney issues are also being dealt with very professionally and with regular visits.

What I found difficult was the recovery from the symptoms of sepsis that lingered. I have gone through everything from sleeping non stop, sever chronic fatigue, six months of anti-depression medication etc etc... I have used mindfulness, changed my diet, worked with a personal trainer to work on minimal exercise just to being the long road back.

I had been very fit, competing in triathlons, half-marathons etc, in addition to being a 50+ year old granny!

I then joined the FB group Road 2 Recovery

https://www.facebook.com/Road-2-Recovery-496380080543190/

The Personal Trainer heading up this page suffered from a pulmonary embolism last year so understands 100% what it is like to try to regain a 'normal' life. She was an excellent runner who has had to re-adjust her goals. This understanding plus her education, background and personality has given her a perfect insight on how to support people going through the struggle we are all going through.

She also runs a 'private' group that runs for 8 week blocks. This provides very personalised and private support. I would highly recommend contacting her (Choc Harris). It doesn't matter where you live because all the support is online.

I believe I have come off the anti-depressant meds largely due to the camaraderie and support from this group. I am back on my bike and although I accept I might not return to triathlons I know I can get back to some sort of fitness and enjoy life again.

Feel free to message me, if you have questions but look her up on FB, using the http address above.

Gillian

Thanks for sharing Gillian. It's always comforting to hear of someone's positive journey back. The finish line may not be the same as pre sepsis but we can still celebrate improvements. Mark (survivor)

Hi Gillian Thank you for the information. I am glad you are improving. I cannot praise the medical professionals who saved my life in February enough. My inpatient care during the month I was in hospital was marvellous. Sadly my treatment since has been woeful. I have had to fight for non routine follow up appointments which has not been conducive to my recovery. I take my Sepsis Trust booklets to appointments as I usually find no one has heard of Post Sepsis Syndrome. I feel I have just been left to get on with it.

Prior to sepsis I was constantly on the go between working, helping my elderly parents and being a kinship carer. I'm now struggling with constant fatigue, leg pain, nightmares etc etc. I have to use a wheelchair to do the weekly shop. I have been to Occupational Health twice and my job is in jeopardy. I have always been very proactive regarding my health and Im trying to do everything I can to help myself. I practice mindfulness, drink 2 litres of water a day, have a very good diet and eat my 5 a day and Im doing exercises to try and improve my mobility but I'm struggling. I will contact the Facebook group and thank you again Gillian for the information.