Williamalanbrown

People must be wade aware of the symptoms of this terrible disease

I am new to the site and hope by sharing my story it helps me come to terms with the loss of my wife to this dreadful illness.

We had been married for 11 years and together for 21years. Sue was the most wonderful person who thought of others more than herself. We travelled the world together having retired early to do so. We stopped last year so she could spend some time with her elderly mother and I took a twelve month contract working at my previous employment. Sue got a cold and a cough in January this year the cough lingered but disappeared about mid February when we had a lovely Valentines dinner at our home with some close friends. The following Monday the cough returned that was the 15th Fuebruary. My wife was not one for running to the Doctors all the time but I did encourage her to see someone but as usual she was always more worried about me or her elderly mother.

On Thursday the 26th February I convinced her she needed to see someone about her cough she was otherwise well going to the gym for Zumba and driving miles back and forth to her mothers in the North East. The nurse she saw at the walk in centre she visited sounded her chest, heart and took her blood pressure and assured her she had back to back colds and the cough would clear up on its own. I arrived back from working away on the Friday and she happily told me she was fine it was just a cold and would clear up. So we dealt with it like a cold she had a hot toddy some night nurse and went off to bed. Saturday was more of the same other than she just said the cough was getting her down. She went off to bed Saturday night to get some sleep early and was awake about two in the morning I asked if she needed anything she said again it was just the cough keeping her awake. At 0500 hrs she woke me up and said she thought she needed to be taken to hospital which I did immediately. They straight away put her into a coma as she was struggling to breathe and her voice had gone funny. Sue died at lunchtime on the Sunday there was nothing they could do for her. No goodbyes, no kiss, no way of knowing if she was aware of what was happening. She did not respond to anti bio tics and they could not keep her blood pressure up.

I was told she had died from community based pneumonia which led to sepsis and they her fitness had masked the symptoms even to a medical professional.

I am devastated she had so much to live for and did not want to die or deserve to all I can do is urge others not to take chances with symptoms which are ongoing.

I have read some of the other sad stories on here and this disease must be treated seriously as a killer and notice there is growing awareness in the media but not nearly enough. None of it will bring my wife back but it might just prevent others from suffering the pain I am going through.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Thank you William for bravely sharing this. I can't offer any words to help you or ease your pain other than being certain your story will help in the fight to make folks better informed on the symptoms and consequences of sepsis.

Take care,

Mark

Hello william,i can only echo what mark has already said,and want to thank you for sharing your story ,even though you must still be in the shock of it all,there is no greater pain than the loss of a loved one.

They say there are different stages of grief......but they are only guidelines ,we all feel and grieve differently.i hope you have the support you need to help you through this most difficult time.there may be a support group near you,or you could contact the office for some advice if you feel up to it (0800 389 6255).

kind regards ian

Hi William, my condolences for your loss. There are no words to describe the pain and suffering of loosing your loved one. I lost my fiancee 12 weeks ago to sepsis. He dropped me to work feeling under the weather with a fever and feeling sick, a bit of a cough nothing more. He was home with the four children all day and when I returned 12 hours later from my shift i found him very sick, unconscious and in septic shock in bed. Everything from that point onwards is nothing short of a nightmare I wish each day to wake up from. The shock; devastation and heartbreak is overwhelming. Every day is empty for me now and I struggle to come to terms with how something can attack a healthy man of 44 so quickly and viciously to the point of no return. Sepsis is a very dangerous illness and one that without early recognition and treatment leaves complete devastation. My fiancee also was found to have undiagnosed pneumonia which lead to the sepsis and septic shock when his body could no longer cope. Awareness of the early signs is key to sepsis prevention and early treatment! The care my loved one received was excellent and I can not fault their efforts to save him it was just to late to reverse the damage. All I can do now is focus on caring for the children and ensuring their wellbeing as he would have wanted. I to will continue to raise awareness of this potentially fatal illness.

Thanks to those who have responded. I am humbled by the fact that people who are very clearly in a very emotional state themselves can take the time to try and comfort me. I just wish there was more we could all do for each other. My life is on hold. I know grief gets softer and normality starts to return after a while but the feeling of sorrow for what my beautiful wife will never see,hear or experience again just hurts.

SAB85 I am so sorry to hear about your awful experience and hope the love of your children can help you get through this. I cannot begin to think how you have found the strength to carry on but I am glad you have as it would be what your husband would want.

These wasted life's must stand for something in the fight to get this terrible illness recognised as the killer it is.

Stay strong.