sillybilly

Benefits!

I'm 6 months post septic shock and all that entails plus pneumonia and pulmonary embolisms. I'm a long way off being able to work because of constant leg pain and fatigue. I was fit and healthy pre sepsis and now use a walking stick and a wheelchair to get around. My SSP has stopped and my ESP ends this month. I have applied for contributory Employment Support Allowance.

I know there are medical professionals who dont know very much about Post Sepsis Syndrome so I'm thinking the Benefits Agency will know even less and I might find it difficult to get ESA. ( Due to my husband's salary I dont qualify for any means tested benefits.)

Does anyone have experience of applying for ESA because of ongoing post sepsis syndrome?

Healing thoughts to all

Hi Lesley Anne

I'm sorry to hear you are having this time and send you too healing thoughts.

Would attendance allowance be any help. That is not easy tested. It is the only one that's not

Take care

Isabel

Hi Isabel

Thank you for your reply. Im too young for Attendance Allowance.Its not very often Im able to say Im too young for anything as Im in my fifties so you have made me smile. Its only for people who are 65 years +

Healing thoughts to all.

hi Lesley Anne,whilst i dont have experience of this myself but i know of patients with other conditions that have been moved off DLA and onto ESA,Its not a means tested benefit,you only have to of paid enough national insurance contributions in certain tax years,i understand there may be different rules that may apply.

there is an excellent website, and should provide you with info regarding how to claim,the format,and appeals,you may need to join for more detailed help.but i tried three times now to post the link but to no avail ,so i will PM you details

It might be a long road ahead and your absolutely right to be looking after yourself,because its not such a well known condition it might mean you may have to provide some of your own research,letter from your GP ect ect.to provide extra evidence for your case.If you have a local CAB office they would help also

kind regards red

Hi. To get contributions based ESA you will need to have paid enough national insurance contributions in the two tax years proceeding the current benefit year and then you will need to score 15 points on the ESA assessment. Contribution based ESA is only awarded for 12 months, unless you are assessed as qualifying for the 'support group', which is the highest award, in which case there's no time limit as long as you meet the other conditions.

You could also try applying for personal independence payments (PIP) as this is an additional benefit you can apply for as well as ESA and it is not means tested. I am currently working part time at home and have applied for PIP.

A good website for further information is 'Benefits and Work', there lots of info on there about both benefits and some practical tools to help you. You could aso check if there is a welfare rights service in your area or ring the CAB.

If you have any further questions, let me know ( my partner is a welfare rights worker and I work in a similar field).

Thanks

Leila

Ps forgot to say, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to explain post sepsis syndrome, the focus for both pip and ESA is on demonstrating how your condition effects your ability to work (ESA) or to complete the task of daily living/moving around (PIP). Medical evidence to support your claim would be helpful. Be prepared not to score enough point on the initial assessment, the DWP often refuse or give low points on assessment (ATOS and CAPITA are renowned for dodgy assessments to meet their targets). Do ask for a mandatory reconsideration and then go for an appeal to a tribunal of you are initially refused. The tribunal is independent and there is a good chance you'll get an initial decision overturned if you have good supporting evidence to show how you meet the criteria. Keeping a daily log of how your condition effects you can also help at the appeal stage.

Good luck

Leila

Great advice from Leila, in particular about them wanting to know how you are affected and not about your diagnosis. I'm currently on DLA and are in the process of applying for PIP, PIP being the replacement of DLA. Citizens Advice have been very good to me in explaining the benefits system (worked for 35 years so had no idea) and completing all the forms. I won't kid you that it's easy so please grasp at all the support and advice that you can. Good luck, Mark