Ella123

Loosing my mum this year to sepsis

Hi, i recently lost my mum this August the 18th which was my 24th birthday we had no idea that she has had the startings of it. My mum had been through so much in her life time having Sherman's disease, two hip replacements, three heart attacks, pneumonia, suffering with awrful rumertoid arthritis in both shoulders, due to lack of care at home from nurses who didn't do her bloods regularly found out she was type 2 diabetes 4 weeks before she died and said her kidneys weren't working, we had no support to help my mum get to grips with being a diabetic no nurse to guide or have a sugar tester so mum can check her sugars, the diabetic board said my mum wasn't a high enough case to tick all the boxes to be treated as a diabetic and this is when I found a small bruise on her leg which I asked her what it was she said she must of banged it being old you bruise easy. The next day there was another and also a love heart red rash on her leg baring in mind she had been suffering with ulcers because she sufferd with water retention in her legs which caused blister out bursts and if we had known earlier she was diabetic we would of known why the ulcers where so hard to get rid of as I got rid of two but one on the front just wouldn't heal. Eventually my mum started to feel unwell showing all the signs she had sepsis we was told by the 111 service my mum wouldn't get seen to for another 6 hours I was livid. We ended up getting emergency ambulance and we took her in. They put her on antibiotics and said she had a very severe case of sepsis and how my mum had lasted so long they was amazed by how strong she was on. They said she was going to have to have an operation to remove the tissues that was infected or amputated, when they was getting her ready I was on my own with my mum and she started to have a fit where the heart was being stopped by the sepsis infection crushing her heart the last thing I remember is her looking at me when she took her last breath and I can't help but feel if I had done more to know these signs and that I couldn't stop my mum from suffering. Im absolutely lost without her and I don't know what to do. Thankyou for reading.

Hi Ella

Sorry for your loss. Your poor mum sounds like she'd gone through so much.

You don't say if you have any support from family or friends, and I hope you've got someone to lean on at this hard time.

With hindsight I went back to work far too soon, and almost three years down the line I wish I'd grieved properly and had some time to readjust.

Not sure if you are local to me, but if you fancy a coffee and/or chat, just PM me your email address.

Sarah

Hello Ella, what a tragic story. You can contact UK Sepsis Trust on 0800 389 6255. They have trained people that can help you, alternatively take up Sarah's offer. You have been very brave writing as you have however I do feel now is the time to contact a person for one on one. My thoughts are with you through this traumatic stage in your life. I'm sure your mum (and you in time) will be very grateful you were together when she passed on.

Mark

My mum died on October 17th-we have the funeral on Monday. She had a small wound on her finger which led to sepsis and she deteriorated very quickly-NHS 111 said she wasn't poorly enough to send an ambulance to but she was immobile because she was in such terrible pain. After she had waited all day for a doctor to come out, I called and demanded an ambulance. She had underlying medical conditions-arthritis, diabetes and a heart condition. She had been through so much including beating breast cancer 10 years ago. She was admitted to hospital on October 16th and died less than 24 hours later. A few hours before her death, she had her finger amputated but it was too late. I wish we had known the symptoms because she displayed all the signs of sepsis-confusion, slurred speech, saying she wanted to die because of the awful pain. She was the centre of our world-my dad, my brother and sister and her 7 grandchildren are all lost without her. She had been a children's nurse and a midwife and ran SCBU for many years so there are many many babies who survived because of her care-it's just so sad that she died of this preventable illness.