GrandmaPeggy

Need Reassurance Please

Hi there, I am new to this forum, having survived sepsis from Aug 2016.I think mine was severe - 7 days ventilated, dialysis, blood trans and 7 weeks in hospital. I am pretty much recovered but my sense of taste is getting me down. Will it come back eventually? I still cough from phlegm on my voice box - the ventilation tube caused this. I havent enjoyed anything to eat since being ill and I am worried its permanent.

Can anyone reassure me?

Hi Grandmapeggy, welcome to the forum and may I congratulate you for being a 'survivor'

Sepsis can knock your whole body out of sync and what you are experiencing is quite common regarding taste. In my own case every meal I asked my wife if she had added salt. Everything tasted very salty and in the early days fruit yogurt was about the only thing I enjoyed. It's very early days for you and I'm sure your taste will improve although if you are like me it may never be like it once was but you will again enjoy food just probably different foods. I like very sweet and very sour but cannot eat spicey foods.

Your comments re your throat does sound as though it's a consequence of all manner of things being shoved in there, not a medic, but I would be inclined to get a medics opinion to rule out an infection. I had what you describe and it turned out to be laryngitis. Keep the faith and give yourself time. Mark

I had to relearn how to eat and enjoy food ,at first everything tasted mouldy and even water was difficult to swollow. But 6 years on I can't stand sweet stuff and my taste in food has changed. Like you the tubes took a dramatic effect ,the nj tube has ruined my breathing on my right nostral each recovery is different , I wish you luck x