LindzV

advice needed for aching limbs please

It has been nearly 6 weeks post sepsis and over the last few days my arms and legs have really been aching, so much so that i cant hold my arms up for too long. I am pregnant also but was just wondering if anyone has experience of this post sepsis and has any advice to help relieve the ache. Does it mean i am missimg some vitamins? I am taking pregnancy vitamins but doesn't seem to make a difference. Many thanks

Hi LindzV, some sepsis survivors find that they suffer limb pain, especially in the legs post sepsis. More can be read about this by searching post sepsis syndrom on the main site. As you are pregnant I suggest you advise your GP to be certain it's not anything else. My wife had difficulty with her hands whilst pregnant so 'unusual' things can happen when pregnant, however I'm happy to say that within 5 days of giving birth her hands were perfect.

Mark

Thank you, i will do, this is my third pregnancy and my legs usually ache but not had my arms aching so much before. Its so hard to tell what is pregnancy related and what is sepsis related. The drs are going to be fed up of me soon!

many thanks

Hi, LindzV,  Aches in arms and legs are fairly common post sepsis.Usually settle with time and are a "normal"response to what your body has been through. However, I would definitely speak to your GP or midwife to check things out as you are pregnant. Also try and rest as much as you can. You may find it helpful to speak to one of the team at the UK Sepsis Trust on 0800 3896255 to discuss your concerns. Take care Julie

Went to dr today because i came out in varicose veins over my right leg over the last few days but last night my leg was in agony around my knee and thigh. The dr thinks i have fibromyalgia in my leg so i know have to wear some lovely thigh high compression stockings!not sure if it is now a life long thing or just whilst pregnant. Upon reading about it online it seems that fibromyalgia can be triggered by viral infection and it says they have seen it appear after sepsis which i thoight was interesting as I had sepsis that developed from a virus. Just when i thought the after effects were starting to move in the right direction

LindzV, 

Sorry you are having calf pains. The reason I stopped by the forum is for same problem. This morning is tough. Hoping for advice. I went thru the sepsis ordeal 16 months ago. Nearly lost my legs due to waiting too long to see Dr. The infection stared after a minor knee surgery. At first I ignored and dealt with it. Then very quickly my temp went to 104+ my legs began unbearably cold. My wife wrested me to car. I could not walk and was becoming incoherent.  Quick thinking Drs started all the right meds and procedure to get my temp down, my heart beating correctly and my blood flowing. It was several days before I was aware of much. My wife said I complained about my legs and mostly lower legs and feet. My whole body was one big agonizing ache, that pain meds did not stop. At home the nightmare really began with pain no sleep and lots of antibiotics and pain meds. I have sleep apnea and Dr. afraid to prescribe strong pain killers. All I got was weak pain meds.   I thought about taking the whole bottle just to end it. After 2 months the constant body ache got better most days, but the calf pain is still there. I thank God it is not nearly as bad. I can walk short distances then calf ache gets worse to the point I cannot walk at all. When I left hospital, dr said give it 6months, then he said wait for a year to see if it resolves. I got a second opinion at 1 year mark. He said wait 18 to 24 months. I have not been back. I find if I do light exercise while still in bed or on side I am able to function a little better. Any fast or intense muscle strain causes bad cramps in calfs and leg muscles. I tried compression hose afew different meds for nerve damage. None worked. Very light exercise/movement to warm up after sleeping or sitting for very long is about all that I have found that helps. Pain meds help in moderate to high dose's , but the side effects suck. I have an appt with my family Dr. in Aug. I plan to ask him for a pain clinic referral. I pray the Lord will help you thru this. 

Sorry to hear you have had it rough. Sounds like yours was far worse than mine. It took me about 4 months to feel vaguely normal again. I went through the aches and then the anxiety but thankfully have come out the other side if that is any comfort. It does get better with time. Strangely as the sepsis started taking over i did start getting pins and needles in my legs. I wonder if that is why they ached for so long afterwards. Hope you start to feel human again soon