Phil_1234

Some Advice if you have any

Hi,

I hope it is ok for me to post this as its my partner that is suffering rather than me.

My girlfriend had an allergic reaction that went on to cause sepsis a couple of months ago. Having read some of the posts on the forum I know that she was very lucky to have it diagnosed early and had comparatively little time in hospital.

However she is suffering from post sepsis syndrome and I wondered if anyone can offer some advice or insight into what helped them.

She is normally extremely active and highly intelligent, but the combination of being bed bound by joint pain and unable to concentrate is really difficult, although I know a lot less than many of you have had to go through.

I suppose I would be interested in,

What is good for her to eat or drink to keep her nutrients up? Digesting is very painful, we now have got her Ensure Plus drinks to try and help but she has lost so much weight and just isn't hitting the calorie intake the doctor said to aim for.

Anything she can do to ease the joint pain? The prescribed painkillers work but really knock her out and over the counter stuff is not very effective. She has heat packs and hot water bottles but its the pain is  constant and a lot of the time complete agony.

What might be good to try to keep her mind occupied? She struggles to concentrate on reading or watching telly. Even music is too much a lot of the time.

Any replies appreciated, I had never heard of Sepsis prior to this and have had my eyes opened to how horrific it is, although I am aware it could have been a lot worse.

Thanks

Phil 

Hi

Not fighting to be 'normal' is a big one. It is a long hard journey we are on and we need to be kind to ourselves. Not sure about your girlfriend but I have never been good at putting me first! Now is the time.

I have always eaten a healthy diet but I have now looked even more into it. Certain spices are good for joint pain. I also drink apple cider vinegar with a concoction of spices. The initial taste takes time to get used to but I do think it helped the joint pain. I also had acupuncture which was very helpful but long term becomes expensive.

The mind is a tricky one. Accept you can't focus for long. I began DuoLongo, a language app and still use it daily! I was able to do something that engaged my brain but I could do it in small chunks. It did help me and my French has come on in leaps and bounds! All sorts of language options too. ????

Life is different now but I manage my energy and focus most of the time. As you get better it is very easy to try to do too much too quickly. An understanding partner is so important. Don't underestimate how much your support means to her. Xx

Hello Phil!

As with any severe illness, the recovery process can often present a new whole set of issues aside from the actual illness itself. When someone is in the “recovery” stage, your thinking process is .”O.K.....I’m out of the hospital and I should feel all better!”. But, as your friend clearly demonstrates, this is not always the case. Quite frankly, you become sick and tired of being sick and tired. I had a very severe case of Sepsis and spent 4 months in the hospital and I year in physical rehab. There was a point when i just wanted someone or something to come along and fix up the mess my body was in and I wanted it done NOW! I could sense my girlfriend was becoming a little impatient with my LACK of patience for myself. Finally, she looked at me with the utmost of compassion and said, “Deal with it!” I knew then, if I had any issues whatsoever, it was up to me to use what brains I had left to confront and resolve any problems I had with diligence and a little creativity. It actually made me feel more in control of my physical and mental self,which in turn, improved my overall outlook on how well I was improving. It was the best advice she could have ever given me! Granted, this approach may not work for everyone, but it worked for me. For pain I discovered ibruprophen worked best for me despite others prescribed by my Doctors. As far as eating was concerned, I was just happy enjoying any meal I could keep down. Initially, I got hooked on “baby food”, which was easy to digest and had some nutrient value. As far as mental stimulation is concerned, I purchased myself an iPad and quickly discovered the joys of shopping one line! It became a little expensive, but certainly did keep me occupied :)

I hope what I have suggested helps in someway. Please update your post and let me know how well things are going.

Bob

Hello Phil!

As with any severe illness, the recovery process can often present a new whole set of issues aside from the actual illness itself. When someone is in the “recovery” stage, your thinking process is .”O.K.....I’m out of the hospital and I should feel all better!”. But, as your friend clearly demonstrates, this is not always the case. Quite frankly, you become sick and tired of being sick and tired. I had a very severe case of Sepsis and spent 4 months in the hospital and I year in physical rehab. There was a point when i just wanted someone or something to come along and fix up the mess my body was in and I wanted it done NOW! I could sense my girlfriend was becoming a little impatient with my LACK of patience for myself. Finally, she looked at me with the utmost of compassion and said, “Deal with it!” I knew then, if I had any issues whatsoever, it was up to me to use what brains I had left to confront and resolve any problems I had with diligence and a little creativity. It actually made me feel more in control of my physical and mental self,which in turn, improved my overall outlook on how well I was improving. It was the best advice she could have ever given me! Granted, this approach may not work for everyone, but it worked for me. For pain I discovered ibruprophen worked best for me despite others prescribed by my Doctors. As far as eating was concerned, I was just happy enjoying any meal I could keep down. Initially, I got hooked on “baby food”, which was easy to digest and had some nutrient value. As far as mental stimulation is concerned, I purchased myself an iPad and quickly discovered the joys of shopping one line! It became a little expensive, but certainly did keep me occupied :)

I hope what I have suggested helps in someway. Please update your post and let me know how well things are going.

Bob