cjrc2017

Seeking support

Hi everyone.

Two to three weeks ago I came down with conjunctivitis and a cough and felt terrible. 4 days after that I began suffering from dizziness in work and had to go home where I began to have vomiting and severe shaking. The next day I woke up was delirious and could hardly walk or do anything. I went to the doctors who phoned an ambulance and I was admitted right away with sepsis and my body had gone into septic shock. My blood pressure was seriously low and my heart rate was 170bpm. I spent 3 days in ICU and was then moved to a ward where I stayed the rest of the week.

I have been out now for a week and a half and I am feeling much better but I'm suffering majorly from my skin being dried out and peeling and also from muscle pain and exhaustion. I am quite young, 22, and the doctors never actually found the cause for this happening. Also I have just found the whole experience so emotionally draining. I have a 4 year old and I worry every day about the fact I could have died and the impact that would have.

I am really just looking support as I am fearful of developing this again due to having no answer as to why I developed it this time. I am wondering if it is more likely to happen again because I have had it? Also I have been signed off work for 6 weeks from the date of admission and I m wondering how long most people take before returning to work?

Thank you in advance for any support or reassurance you can provide.

Take your time and be kind to yourself. It is going to take time to get back to feeling completely well. Youth is on your side but with youth might come impatience! Your body has gone through so much. I am not medically trained but I have been through three days in Intensive Care after septic shock as well. I eat very carefully (no junk food!), rest as much as I can and listen very carefully to my body. With a wee one you will find it hard to rest but do try because fighting the fatigue does not help you at all. All the best xx

Really good advice from Gillian.  If you would like to chat more about your recovery you can call 0808 800 0029 and speak to one of our support nurses.  They will be able to talk to you about what to expect during recovery and answer any questions you have.

Dry and flaking skin, fatigue and muscle aches are all really commonly experienced problem during recovery from sepsis.  This is very early days for you, the advice given by Gillian is really important,  you should look after yourself and don't demand too much of yourself, you have been very ill and it will take time to recover.

Everyone's recovery is individual, there is no set time to return to work, this very much depends on how you are feeling, and the type of work you do. The limiting factors tend to be fatigue and the ability to concentrate on your work. Often when recovering from Sepsis its not until you try to return to work you realise the demands it will put on you.

If you have an occupational Health or Well Being department at work it would be sensible to talk to them and your line manager about what has being happening to you. Take along some information on sepsis recovery for them to have a look at, I have provided a link to our information books, we can post hard copies out to you if this would help.  Many people return to work on a phased return  and ease themselves back into to work slowly. The key message is to be kind to yourself, take things steadily and talk to those around about how you are feeling.

https://sepsistrust.org/support/resources/