leigh12

I’m very lucky but I wish it would stop!

So July 2017 I had 2 previous UTI’s and had no symptoms what so ever I went to sleep on the Monday feeling fine as ever I woke up around 7pm and had excruciating pain in my hips down to my toes and felt utterly sick ???? passing this off i went to bed but I couldn’t sleep longer than 40 mins at a time without needing a drink wich I’d just bring back up or crawling the bed in pain with my legs, i made an appointment the next morning to see my doctor. I gave a sample of urine wich was like pure blood, explained everything to my GP who sent me home with menthol gel for my leg pain and advised I went to my local shop and got tonic water to help too, despite been 7 months pregnant she didn’t seem interested and passed me out with amoxicillin ( wich you can not take in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy) so off I go back home to try and rest, gets to 5pm I’m quite delirious and don’t quite remember anything from around that time to 11pm when I was rushed to hospital I got there and the nurse took one look at me and instantly knew I was septic, further test shown I had 13cm Of fluid around my left kidney and it was failing and the pains in my legs was related to my body been in septic shock, I had blood pressure of 68/46 and a heart rate of over 145 and a temp of 40 I had 9 bags of fluid immediately as I got there as I was severely dehydrated yet I’d been trying to drink as much fluid as I could but I couldn’t keep it down. I was in hospital 7 days and let home with further medication. I cannot thank the staff at the hospital enough that I survived and miraculously my little boy survived who is now a very healthy 6 month old bundle of cuteness! But my god it’s been 8 months now and I still get severe pains in my legs I get lower back ache on my left side which was the kidney that was affected and I cannot do a lot of walking without my legs feeling like they are going to collapse at any point. Please someone reassure me this is normal and it will only get better, I am in no way grumbling as like I’ve previously said I’m so lucky to be here but I’m only 24 years old and I feel like my legs belong to a 70 year old at times

Thanks for reading x

Hi there, I'm sorry your not feeling to good after your sepsis, it is seem to be very normal to have pain after sepsis, but if you haven't seen a GP I would advisise you to, may be not the same one you sore before, glad to here your baby is doing well, it sounds like your doing really well to be looking after a young baby as well as coping with the after affects of sepsis, and keep an eye on recurring infections which I suffered with my self, a good understanding GP really helps try to see the same one, so you don't have to keep explaining yourself. Hope this is helpful I am not a medical person, it's just my own experience sepsis.

Derug

Thankyou for your reply in regards to looking after my son some days I struggle but I’m a single parent so have to get up and go no matter how painful my legs are :( I have recently seen a doctor who has ordered I have a blood test and has prescribed me strong painkillers unfortunately I found they made me drowsy during the day so I take the once my son is asleep and settle for the night, I thank god every day for giving my son a chance at life and not stopping mine as I know sepsis is a huge killer, I hope your well

X