VivB

Recurring Sepsis after surgery

I am a new member seeking advice. My husband has bladder cancer and underwent a Radical Cystectomy with Ilual Conduit in June. I am collecting him from hospital hopefully today after suffering Sepsis twice in the last 3 weeks, both times being hospitalised.  What advice can anyone give to prevent this keep happening? Doctor yesterday said that due to his 're-plumbing' this is likely to keep happening.  Any advice gratefully received.  

Recurring infections following sepsis can be a problem for some sepsis survivors.  A few of those people may then go on to develop sepsis. It is important to take measures to minimise the risk of getting infections such has good basic personal hygiene and hand washing, strict hygiene when caring for any indwelling devices such as urinary catheters, caring for any cuts and wounds and seeking medical attention when you suspect you may have an infection.  Most important  is to know the signs of sepsis and if you are worried that you may have sepsis  'Just Ask Could it be Sepsis'    I have provided a link below to some helpful information on sepsis recovery. You may also find it helpful to chat to one of the nurses on the support team at the UK Sepsis Trust, you can ask them questions and discuss your concerns.  Contact them by calling 08088000029.  

Sepsis Recovery booklets