Joe

few months on...

Hello everyone. Just wanted to share my story. I'm a bricklayer. 22 years old. Very healthy and active.

Before all of this happened, I had no idea what sepsis was and wasn't aware of the impact it would have on my life.

I went in for a routine ACL/mcl knee operation. The first one was fine which was in late January 2019. The second operation was on March 11th. I woke up from the operation instantly unwell with a lot stomach/back pain. I was transferred to Brighton during the early hours and it was descovered that I had sepsis, pancreaitus and pneumonia. 

I was in hospital for 2 1/2 weeks which was the worst time of my life. My whole family at one stage came to visit late at night out of hours and everyone was crying. I really felt helpless as I kind of gathered the dangers of sepsis and how my life could have come to an end. ( I was heavily drugged up throughout my time there). 

I thought I recovered to an extent, then a few months later I suffered a pancreatitis attack and caused me to be in hospital for another week. This attack has taken its toll on me. 

They don't know the cause, I don't drink, smoke and I eat a very low fat diet. The second time has really effected me it's almost been a year from the very start. I'm a bricklayer/builder and I have really lost my confidence to do my job that I use to love. I always seem to be tired and I have had to do rehabilitation for my knee and learn to walk again on top of everything that went on. I have found it exstreamly difficult to get back to things. I really feel like a different person and I never thought something like this would happen to me. 

I'm trying to get back to work but it's really hard at the moment, mentally and physically. Most Employers don't understand that I'm slower at my job and I'm finding my way again. I might have to do something else. 

I really feel for people who suffer from this and I really do feel lucky to be alive. I do hope to do a charity event for sepsis when I feel a bit better. 

Thanks for reading.