Cathpip

My little girl

post-111-0-24836300-1409759005_thumb.jpg This is my little girl, Pippa. She was feisty, argumentative, loved life and absolutely delighted to become a big sister. 8 days after her little brother arrived she came down with a viral infection, the next evening something was not sitting right with me and after a phone call to NHS direct an ambulance was called. Pippa was diagnosed with severe pneumonia (dispute showing no symptoms) she was transferred to the children's ward were my husband took over as I was not allowed to stay with a small baby. My last words to her were "I will bring a picnic breakfast with your brothers in the morning, you be a good girl for the nurses and daddy and I love you lots" she replied with "I just love you so much mummy" and with that I left her arguing with the nurses and bossing my husband around. 8 hours later I was called back in, Pippa had gone from stable and alert into cardiac arrest in the space of 20 mins. I walked back into that room to see my daughter lying there lifeless with a tube in her mouth and covered in a blotchy rash, the official cause of death is Sepsis as a result of bacterial pneumonia (strep a). Life for us as a family is so completely broken, we are now living every parents worst nightmare, the pain never ceases. The speed with which this kills is unbelievable, and we are now left to rebuild our lives and try and raise awareness amongst our family, friends and community.

Thank you for reading

Pippa. 31/1/2011 - 10/4/2014. Xx

Cath

Thank you for having the courage to leave a message on this Forum. I am so sorry for your loss. Words aren't enough.

Pippa looks full of life and I know that you must be feeling so broken. I haven't had children but have lost my Mum to sepsis in the last few months. Nothing can prepare you. It is the type of thing that happens to others, not to us....

Take your time to do things and don't do anything you aren't ready to do. Everybody is different. You just need to look after yourself, your husband and your family as best as you can.

Feel free to email me if you want to. sarah@sarah-johnson.co.uk

Love

Sarah

x

It is so heart-breaking to read and for you to relate. I did press "like", but did not like the event obvisously, but your courage to be able to relate this sad tragedy. Bless Pippa and you all.

Hi Cathpip,

I was so sorry to hear about your little Pippa. No parent should have to experience loosing a child, at whatever age. Children dying is just so wrong. I can only try and imagine with dread the pain you're all going through. As you say sepsis can kill so quickly, especially children. They can just fade in front of your eyes, despite everything you do to try and save them. 37 years of nursing and l'll never get my head round it. I wish there was something we could do to make this even a little easier for you. 

Thank you for sharing this with us. It must have been very difficult for you to write but I'm sure it will help others facing such a distressing situation. And hopefully, if we all keep highlighting sepsis and its effects, together we'll be able to save many young lives in the future.  

I hope you and your family find some peace.

Libby.

Trustee 

The UK Sepsis Trust 

Hi Cath.

I have just joined this forum and am so sorry to hear what happened to Pippa. I lost my daughter Hayley as a result of sepsis in 2011. She was 27 years old and had just given birth to her first baby. She developed sepsis from an infected C. Section and after 2 weeks on a ventilator and ECMO (Lung bypass) she died. Her baby was 3 weeks old. I know Hayley was an adult but she was still my little girl and the devastation of losing a child is something you can't even begin to imagine until it happens to you.You are still in very early days with your grief and I would say be very gentle on yourself and don't expect too much. If its a bad day, go with it and rest whenever you can. Grief is exhausting and I see you have a baby to care for as well. It is so hard to deal with all the daily things that need to be done whilst this horrendous pain is draining your energy and making it so difficult to focus on other things. I remember a distinct shift in people around me at 6 months. It seemed as if they felt I had grieved long enough and they just wanted me to 'move on'. When you lose a child there is nowhere to 'move on' to. You learn to adapt to the grief and function each day but its a loss that is so different to the expected losses you face in life. I hope you are getting the support you need from family and friends. 

Take care

Anne