Hello,

As someone who a month ago had never experienced the effects of Sepsis - let alone even heard of it under that name - I can now say my world is completely altered.

My partner, Alan, died a month ago of Sepsis brought on by bronchopneumonia. In the space of eight hours what had started out in the middle of the night as throwing-up due to a suspected 'dodgy' reaction to something eaten the evening before, resulted in Alan's death. I've lost my partner, companion and best friend in life.

Alan showed no signs or symptoms of any sickness the day before and it's destroying to know that what looked like 'everyday' sickness, the start of flu or a bad bug was in fact killing him. In a few hours all Alan had by way of symptoms was vomiting and 'feeling very hot'. All many adults would do is sleep it off and rest, as he tried to, as we all do with any suspected 24-hour flu or stomach bug that hits us. This is how I last saw him: in bed, asleep thinking he was doing the right thing and resting. I found Alan dead in bed later on. He was in a sleeping position so I hope - not much comfort right now - that he passed out and he died in his sleep/unconscious. The effects of Sepsis are truly dreadful and yet so few people know about this fast killer - the window of opportunity seems appallingly small and the ways in which it kills are so varied.

The frightening thing is that many of it's symptoms - to the uninitiated - are things all adults suffer from time-to-time. I noticed on the news the following day the Government announcing a new campaign to encourage GPs to spot the symptoms sooner. I hope this saves lives, but how many people will know to contact with things many expect to shake off in a day or so, especially when told to go away if the symptoms are flu-like?

Reading some of the posts here and elsewhere remind me I'm not the only one in this terrible boat but cannot bring back the one I loved. However, we must do what we can to prevent and minimise the effects of this terrible infection.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

I am so sorry for your loss. My circumstances are very similar to yours, albeit my mother who succumbed to Sepsis (her story is on the tributes part of the UKST website under 'Meryam').

It is so hard trying to adjust to life without her, and nobody can understand our situation because unless they have been in your shoes, it is hard to explain the multitude of questions and emotions going around our heads.

I threw myself into fundraising for UKST and raising awareness, and that does help keep the mind occupied on other things. With hindsight, I wish I had taken more time off work, to grieve properly, as I kept busy. It was right at the time though.

You don't say where you are based, but I hope you have some sort of support network? Feel free to PM me if you want to.

Sarah

Hello Paul. can I say how sorry I am that you have lost Alan to this awful disease. I lost my daughter in 2011 following the birth of her first baby. I have read so many accounts similar to yours, of previously health adults or children, with an apparently common illness being overwhelmed by sepsis. In our case it was almost 3 weeks of terrifying ICU care before Hayley died and as you say, the way it kills seems to have many guises. It is a truly awful disease that can kill any age or even the fittest people and yet there is so little public or even medical awareness of it. I hope you have good support around you in the weeks ahead as you face this awful grief.

Take care

Anne

Dear, Paul, I'm so sad to hear that you have lost your partner Alan to sepsis.

I know that nothing I can say can take away the pain, shock and grief you feel.

Do ask for and accept help from friends and relatives. If you haven't done so already consider speaking to your GP too.

The UK Sepsis Trust have a Booklet "Sepsis: A Guide for Relatives and Patients" and Support Groups are available in the Midlands

and Manchester areas which may be helpful. (Tel: 0845 606 6255).

Julie